Why are LDS members so willing to accept Joseph Smith as the chosen, most important and amazing, honorable prophet of the entire last dispensation of time (out of all of the people on earth who could have been chosen) despite well-known facts; such as
1. Purposefully deceiving his (39 yr. old) wife and the church members about “marrying” several women, including young girls, teenagers and previously married women. I use the word “marrying” loosely because the marriages were not legally recognized by anyone and he might not have had sex with all of them (but he is forgiven even if he did) and he didn’t support them financially or live with them. He was also publicly accused of sexual harassment on more than one occasion.
2. That he was known as a con- man and taken to trial as such on numerous occasions. That he used the same ordinary stone that he found outside in the dirt to “translate” the Book of Mormon also as a pretend tool to con people to pay him to find buried treasure and of course never finding the treasure. He also prophesied that the Kirtland bank would never fail and then it did, bankrupting thousands of members. On January 12, 1838, he faced a warrant for his arrest on a charge of illegal banking.
3. That he wrote so many errors in the Book of Mormon such as: KJV errors, anachronisms, Lamanites (who are American Indians) are from Israel, dark-skinned people are dark because of a curse and they turn white when they are more righteous, etc
4. That most of his prophecies were never fulfilled.
5. That he translated parts of the forged Kinderhook plates and said they were real.
You can Google any of these things to read more about them.
If I bring any of these up to LDS members they say things like:
“God works with imperfect people”
“I’ve decided that prophets can be fallible”
“FAIR: Joseph Smith didn’t act in prophet’s role during translation of Kinderhook plates”
Yet – if a person lived today with this same track record we wouldn’t give that person the time of day- let alone dedicate our lives to whatever that person decided to preach to us. We also would not believe him if he said he talked with angels and God. We would not trust him with anything of importance to us. So why are so many people willing to today?