LDS Conservative Republican Mormons and Mitt Romney will most likely hold the view that life is about good guys vs. bad guys, winners vs. losers and our goal is to be winners. The nation’s goal is to be a nation of winners and to subdue the losers as much as possible. This is reflected in the Book of Mormon where there are clear good guys and bad guys (winners and losers) and not many shades of gray. The good guys- almost caricature like always win eventually by being moral and industrious and following an ideology of traditional family, righteous war, hard work and obedience to authority. These laws are based on everyone having a fair shake and on everyone being equal with equal opportunity to obey. It is not based on the messiness of reality/nature and the million shades of gray that actually exist in people and in circumstances. It is a hope for a utopian America where all the “winners” are in the spotlight and the losers are kept down and ignored.
These conservatives carry this message into politics with the same black and white mentality. They usually hold the following views (below). This plan might work for a general population, but millions of individuals who don’t fit in will get hurt (become victims). The conservative Republican view is that winners (good guys) equal smart, privileged, loved, relatively wealthy, healthy, heterosexual, God-fearing, industrious, righteous American citizens and losers equal the unfortunate who were born less intelligent so they can’t compete well, severely mentally challenged, severely neglected or abused as children so they can’t compete well, uneducated parents who didn’t teach them well, tired people who have had a hard life (labeled lazy), ineffective inner city or back country schools so they can’t compete well, disabled, uneducated, single/pregnant mothers, handicapped, poor, minority, Mexican, homosexual, homeless, sick or unhealthy so they can’t compete well, someone who experienced a tragedy of circumstances (housing bubble) or an accident that limits their personal finances or abilities so they can’t compete well, talents or abilities/skills are less in demand or marketable, people who commit any crime (it doesn’t matter why or the circumstances). Atheists, non-Christians and liberal intellectuals may also be considered losers. Other losers include cultures/ideologies/religions that differ from theirs. Countries such as France, Russia, China, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, Cuba, Palestine/Hamas, and Iran are of course losers.
According to this mentality all losers are losers due to their own fault and they could easily choose differently. In America all losers can become winners if they just tried a little bit harder. Outside of America you could become a winner if you copy America as closely as possible.
1. Capitalism = Fierce competition (keep big government out of the way of the corporations and let the winners win and the losers lose)
2. Housing market – let the foreclosures run their course and the market will rebound on its own (don’t help people who have lost or are losing their home – allow the losers to lose)
3. No minimum wage increase (continue to let the losers lose/ ignore those who can’t pay their bills because it is their fault)
4. Little unemployment assistance (continue to let the losers lose and they might rebound on their own/ ignore those who can’t)
5 Oppose same-sex marriage and civil unions (continue to let the losers lose/ – homosexuality is a choice and can be changed if you tried harder)
6. Romney’s Tax plan = charge parents earning minimum wage about $1,000 more per year, while giving those earning over $1 million per year about half of the proposed $600 billion per year tax cuts (continue to let the losers lose and the winners win)
7. Kill Obamacare (Continue to let the winners win (those who can afford health care) and the losers to lose (those who cannot afford health care or who have pre-existing conditions, we winners do not want to pay for the losers health care)
8. America is exceptional = the United States is different (better) from other countries in that it has a specific world mission to spread liberty and democracy (we, the true American citizens are the winners/good guys in the global competition, we are 100% RIGHT) All the countries that don’t like us or don’t want to be like us (losers).
9. Increase the size of our military (winners are always ready for war. This means more competition where we can win.)”Unless America changes course,” Romney said, “we will no longer be the leader of the world, no longer the superpower.” (We MUST be winners)
10. China is “cheating” and “stealing American jobs (China = losers)
11. Guantanamo Bay detention camp is a good place for losers. Death penalty and harsh punishments are needed for loser criminals. This is because their are good guys and bad guys and no shades of gray.
12. Israel is a nation which shares American values and is our best friend in the Middle East, and we should support and not criticize or blame (Israel and America are winners and are 100% right) The reason that there’s not peace between the Palestinians and Israel is because in the leadership of the Palestinian people are Hamas and others who think like Hamas (Palestinians/ Hamas are losers)
13. Oppose the DREAM Act (children born and raised in America to illegal immigrants should be deported – they are losers), support using E-verify in the same manner it is applied by Arizona SB 1070 in Arizona. (Mexicans are losers unless they jump through all the complex American citizen hoops that are impossible for a lot of people)
15. Good education is needed to compete in the global economy. (Winning global economic competition is utmost priority for winners). Superintendents and principals should be able to fire teachers without regard for seniority (I agree with this, but how do the loser teachers survive now? Some loser teachers might be trying their best, but they are now losers)
16. Strong families, military and (capitalist) economy equals strong America. (If you would rather embrace all types of families, peace/diplomacy and pay high taxes to support the less fortunate you are a loser)
Fact – If you think competition and winning is the answer than there will always be losers. If you only want to reward the winners than losers will always exist. Very often, losers lose because they tried their best within their circumstances and they just couldn’t compete. I believe in a hybrid of capitalism and socialism. Let the winners keep playing the competition game, but tax the rich to help those who are unable to compete or who cannot compete well due to circumstances or mental/physical deficiencies. It is not a fair playing field. Statistics show that social mobility is very rare.
Where we agree:
1. Romney favors policies to cut demand of oil – he wants the U.S. to reduce dependence on foreign oil through conservation and efficiency and by developing alternatives. “We’re using too much oil,” Romney said. We can be more energy independent and we can be far more efficient in the use of that energy.”
2. Romney wrote, “I believe that climate change is occurring. [...] I also believe that human activity is a contributing factor. (However, doesn’t support cap and trade)
3. Romney has expressed support for the theory of evolution with the statement that “evolution is most likely the process he used to create the human body”. One report states Romney believes in a “hybrid of evolution and creationism”. He opposed the teaching of intelligent design in science classes as governor.
4. Romney opposes online gambling and thinks all computers should be equipped with internet filters that actually work to protect children.
5. Romney signed a 2004 measure instituting a permanent Massachusetts ban on military style assault weapons.
6. On pro-choice: Romney said, “I have my own beliefs, and those beliefs are very dear to me. One of them is that I do not impose my beliefs on other people. Many, many years ago, I had a dear, close family relative that was very close to me who passed away from an illegal abortion. It is since that time my mother and my family have been committed to the belief that we can believe as we want, but we will not force our beliefs on others on that matter.” (Although recent statements have shown that he no longer holds this view and would repeal Roe vs. Wade)